Quick Setup Guide
This is a quick tutorial to get started with file sharing and collaboration based on object storage using a simple Form-based authentication. You may want to refer to other parts of Documentation for advanced SSO and integration with external user stores. Currently, we support the following storage types.
- AWS S3
- Azure Blob
- Azure File Shares
- Backblaze B2 Cloud Storage
- DigitalOcean Spaces
- E2E Cloud Storage
- Google Cloud Storage
- Linode Object Storage
- Oracle Object Storage
- S3 Compatible
- Vultr Object Storage
- Wasabi S3
Share and Collaborate files with internal and external users with fine access control.
File sharing using Form-Based Authentication
Assuming, deployment was successful, please open the URL -> http://(your ip):8080
Login to admin console with default credentials as admin/admin . It is advisable to change the password after your first login. To change the password, please refer to the documentation Change Password. You can also create more than one admin user under Delegated Admin tab given full access to reset another admin user password. To reset forgotten password refer to Password Reset.
NOTE: Please note that the default in-built user store does not support password reset functionality for AdminConsole. For a proper production deployment, you can integrate with any of your identity stores such as keycloak, Active Directory, etc for better password management policy.
- After login into the application, click on Settings at the left menu tab.
- Click on edit File Storage, select a storage type based on your cloud storage and provide your storage details including storage locations if applicable.
- Save it.
- Go to the next section, edit User Application URL and provide the user application URL as http://(you ip):8081, and save it.
Note – During production use, a proper domain with HTTPS is required here.
- Other settings such as email, audit, etc can be configured later and is optional for now. For more detail, refer to Settings
The next step is to browse the storage file/folder and share it with users. In this tutorial, we will create a folder share with simple Form-based authentication.
- Click on the Storage tab on the left side menu.
- Your storage files will be listed here, browse through any file or folder, and select Share by right clicking on it.
- This will bring up existing shares if any. There can be one or more Shares for File/Folder with different access rights.
- Let us create a new one, click on Create New Share.
- Provide necessary details under the Basic Info.
- Edit on Start-Up Message if you want this message to appear when the user opens the Share. For example disclaimer message.
- Click on the Permission tab.
- Enable access for Download, Upload and Delete.
- Email Alerts can be left blank as email is not configured yet.
- on Authentication tab, select Form Based Authentication. Click on New to create a new login profile.
- Please note that login profiles can be reused across multiple Shares.
- Provide a Credentials, save it and thereby select the newly created authentication profile for the this Share.
- For permissions, grand upload and download access.
- Click on Create Share and this share is ready to be shared with users.
The new share that we just created against a file/folder can be shared to your users.
- Right click on the newly created share and select Copy URL, this is the URL to be shared to your users. Alternatively, you can also email it from here, provided email settings are configured.
- To test, please open the copied URL in a new private incognito browser window. This is needed because, both admin and user facing applications are running in same IP, but however during production deployment, this will not be a problem because we will be using proper domain name and and SSL.
- Once the link is opened, it will prompt you for a username and password.
- Provide the credentials as per the login profile. After logging in, you can perform operations such as upload, download, delete, etc on files depending on the access given.
- To view all available shares, go to left side tab Shares.
The FREE edition supports Form, Basic and OTP based authentications. For integrating with external identity providers, and other advanced feature such as document copy protection, digital signature, etc you will have to upgrade to paid edition or make a request for trial key at HERE.
SSL and Domain name
So far, we were able to test using non-SSL, but before going to production, it is required to setup a SSL certificate and a domain name. NirvaShare requires two domains, one for administration console app and the other for user facing share service app. It would be better to have two sub domains like below.
For a proper certificate, there are multiple ways to get this done, you can try any one of the below way.
- Obtain CA certificate for your domain from external authority.
- Use certbot with LetsEncrypt for free certificate.
You may have to point your domain name to this IP address. To configure the certificate, you can google or refer external documentation on how to configure SSL in Ubuntu using Nginx or Apache.
Alternatively, you can also check a free app Nginx Proxy Manager for docker, which is cool app to configure free SSL with domain name in couple of minutes. https://nginxproxymanager.com
Other option is to use load balancer. Depending on the cloud platform, you can configure load balancer to have domain and SSL certificates. Refer to respective cloud platform documentation for more details.
Further any help or support needed in configuration, please contact us at HERE, we will be happy to assist you.
In this document, we discussed on how to install and configure NirvaShare to use a simple FORM based authentication. For production deployment, as mentioned this has to be fronted with SSL with proper domain name. The free version supports all storage types and authentications such as Form, Basic and OTP based. For advanced authentications using SAML and to hook with your existing Active Directory, AWS SSO, etc requires edition upgrade or a trial key. For more details on Advanced documentation, Trial key, Support, pricing, etc please contact at Click Here