Wasabi Object Storage file sharing with Active Directory Users using SSO.
Sharing files from Wasabi Object Storage with Active Directory Users is made easy and efficient using NirvaShare. Active Directory service is commonly used by organizations to effectively govern access and manage users. NirvaShare is a secure file sharing and access management solution which facilitates file sharing from Wasabi Storage.
It is necessary to create a login profile in NirvaShare to enable SSO with external identity provider. Refer to the below documentation to create one.
- Log in to Admin Console as an administrator.
- Click on Login Profiles from the left menu of the Admin Console.
- Click on CREATE button from the top right corner.
- Provide a name for the title.
- For Authentication, select External Single Sign On (SSO) and click on CREATE.
For external identity provider integration, you will require SAML metadata from the login profile of NirvaShare. To obtain the SAML metadata for the newly created login profile, follow the below steps.
- Edit the newly created login profile.
- Click on the Download Metadata link.
- This will download the XML metadata file for NirvaShare.
- This metadata file will be required to configure the external identity provider and hence it is advised to please save this file locally for further reference.
Active Directory and Login Profile Configuration
We need to create an application SSO access point, i.e., enterprise application in Active Directory to integrate with NirvaShare:
- Sign in to Azure Portal https://portal.azure.com
- Open Active Directory service.
- From the left menu list, click on Enterprise applications.
To know more, you can also visit the Microsoft site HERE.
- On the top menu, click on New application.
- On the top menu, click on Create your own application.
- Provide a name as NirvaShare-userapp and click on Create.
- Once the newly created application is selected, click on Single sign-on from the left menu tab.
- We need to enable SAML, hence click on SAML block on right hand side.
- At this instant, you will require SAML metadata file that was obtained from NirvaShare in the previous section.
- Click on Upload metadata file.
- Select the NirvaShare SAML metadata file and upload.
- Save it.
- Go to the section Attributes & Claims and click on edit.
- Click on Add a group claim from the top menu.
- Select All groups radio button and Source attribute as Group ID.
- Scroll down and expand Advanced options.
- Enable checkbox to Customize the name of the group claim
- Provide the name as member.
- Save it.
In the next step, we need to download Active Directory’s SAML metadata file.
- Scroll down to the section SAML Signing Certificate.
- Download the Federation Metadata XML file.
- Save the file
Updating SAML Metadata
Go back to NirvaShare Admin Console.
- From the NirvaShare Admin Console, click on edit on the Login Profile that we created earlier.
- Upload the Federation Metadata XML content obtained from Active Directory by clicking on Browse next to Upload Metadata under External IDP SAML metadata.
- Save It.
With this, the required configuration to enable Active Directory Single Sign-On with NirvaShare is done. To test this, we can move to the next section to create Shares.
At this stage, we are good to use the SSO with Wasabi Object Storage. Now we can create a folder Share to share Wasabi files with Active Directory Users using SSO. Refer to below documentation to create new Share from the Storage. During the Share configuration, ensure that you select the login profile that we created in above section. You can also create one or more shares and assign the same login profile.
- Go to the NirvaShare Admin Console and right click on the login profile that we created and select Copy Shareable Link.
- Open the link in browser tab. This will redirect to AD for SSO.
- After the authentication, you will be able to access Shares assigned to the login profile.